Part II: Dalton and the Second Brutal Road Walk

If I ever needed a town day (or two) this was it and Dalton came at a perfect time. It had been mostly rainy every since Heflin without much chance to dry out so I was more than a little excited to find a room right across from the washing machines. It also didn't hurt to have dozens of restaurants to choose from. This was definitely more of a chain-storish Interstate highway stop kind of place but that was fine with me. Green Tortuga pulled into town the same time I did and we shared a couple of meals and some good laughs together. I even got to meet some of the local letterboxers and learn some more about the whole thing.

After a day of rest and resupply it was time to head out. This roadwalk isn't as long but it was still a pain. I just seemed to take forever for it to go from unpleasant business district to unpleasant residential to unpleasant rural. I finally stopped for supper at a roadside convenience store and got a ride a little further on. The problem was the road we were looking for was unmarked. We got there on the second try and I started the long trek up People's Lake Road. Blazes were non-existent and I was relying on an old map of the Chattahoochie National Forest that John Calhoun had loaned me. I had no idea if I was on the trail or not and it took me an hour or so the next day to figure out where I was.

This part of the trail travels through some rugged and beautiful country. This definitely had the feel of the wilderness and the falls and streams ascending the Mountaintown Stream Trail were a total treat. When I finally hooked up with the Benton McKaye Trail I was definitely sad to leave the Pinhoti behind