Part I: Cave Spring and the First Brutal Road Walk

Cave Spring, GA is a very pretty little town. The kind of town that is the perfect size for hikers. Enough services without feeling like chainstore strip-mall hell. The downtown was pleasant and compact. The only reason I didn't stay was to break up the 30-mile roadwalk. I got myself groceries, lunch, time on the internet and still hiked 20 miles. Certainly a personal best for a "town day".

The next day was gloomy and to make matters worse I got mixed up and had to walk an extra four miles to get myself back on track again. What a chore. The good news was that I was off the roads and back on the trail. The Georgia Pinhoti is a bit rougher than the Alabama section. There's more reliance on dirt roads and ATV tracks. But there are some highlights as well. The ridges are starting to feel more like the AT, Keown Falls and the trail beside them are quite neat and crossing the two branches of Armuchee Creek are a good test of skill. Pilcher's Pond is also a fun spot although I was scolded by a hunter for looking too much like a turkey.