Nantahala National Forest

(Loser)

Those of you who know me well know that I have a tendency to be absent minded and to forget things. This was the section where pride went before a fall in terms of my camping skills mostly in the form of misplacing just about everything. Up until this point I had been pretty pleased with myself. I hit the Appalachian Trail well warmed up after 360 miles of hiking the Pinhoti & McKaye trails plus a 200 mile stint on the Florida Trail and things were going pretty well.

However on my first day back on the trail I left my fork where I had eaten lunch. The second day my stove ran out of fuel. And on the third day I lost the bandana I had worn faithfully since I bought it in New Zealand. I was more than a little aggravated with
myself. Not that I couldn't manage. I cooked over an open fire and used a tent stake as a fork. Still, one hopes to keep it together better than that.

Finally on the last day before going into town, a hiker produced my bandana which she had found lying on the trail. I also found a small canister of stove fuel in one of the shelters to use as a backup when then next canister runs out. However, I was so excited on finding the canister that I left my water bottle behind and had to run back and get it. Time for a day off to try and get my wits back.