'A footpath for those who think they can do better than the Blue Ridge Parkway'.

This was a hard trail to make a connection with. The first 20 miles or so is a roadwalk on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then it took a while to get used to the blazing and signage. Then the blazes stopped altogether for no apparent reason.  This was fine as long as the trail didn't split but it did and there were no signs nor blazes to be found. I had to guess which way to go and I guessed wrong putting me almost a day behind.

The one night I did get a little distance between myself and the Parkway I camped out on an open ridge only to be treated to a hailstorm with high winds and lightning. I made it through all right. The only thing I forgot to get under cover were my boots and my socks so I had damp feet for the next few days.

As frustrating as that was the trail and the Parkway goes through some absolutely beautiful country. Pisgah National Forest blows the Smokies away for scenery. And the Blue Ridge Parkway is both an engineering and scenic marvel as it winds its way through. I had a wonderful time at the Mt Pisgah Inn even though they didn't have any rooms and I camped out
across the road. Their restaurant has one of the best views around and is reasonably priced. I even saw a bear on mylast full day on the trail.

So it was kind of a short and stormy experience on this trail but I left feeling like I was starting to understand it and thinking about exploring more of it some day.  Any time I'm on the trail, all I think about is getting to town or going home.  Then when I get off the trail and wish I was back on, sleeping under the stars and living with nature.